Thread: 30+ PADSTARR profiles disappeared. Halp!!

Exclamation 30+ PADSTARR profiles disappeared. Halp!!

Hi Gary and co, thanks in advance for your help! Bit of a scary situation here..

Padstarr appears to have lost 30+ profiles created over 3 years, along with my settings and controller configs. The program starts as if for the first time, with one Desktop profile, and a prompt to configure my controller.

Ray of hope: The extensive size and number of folders/files, suggests that the missing profile data still exists - in Appdata/Roaming/Padstarr/Games.

I'm really hoping I can recover these files and avert disaster.
    I seem to remember this happened to me once a couple of years ago. I found a solution online and restored the files, but now I can't recall what I did, or where I found the info..
    So far, I saved the appdata folder then tried reboot, run as admin, system restore, creating a profile then restarting.

Your help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wayowayoo; 03-16-2019 at 07:30 PM.

HI wayowayoo, sorry you lost you profiles. I did search the forums and it was just as I suspected... whenever this would happen in the past you would have to zip up a certain folder and send it to Rob to recover your profiles.
    Since Rob is no longer with us, it is not an option. Sorry.
    My only suggestion would be to try and reinstall Padstarr and export every profile you make and save it somewhere.

Hi Gary, I appreciate the speedy response, thank you!

That's the situation as I feared. However, I'm going to throw a few more hours this week into trying to restore them. (The configuration of some the profiles were as extensive and insane as my decision not to back them up in the first place, so it's worth some more of my time).

I've discovered a year-old backup of a (potentially working) appdata Padstarr folder. This is to Padstarr what the Pinnacle folder was, that Rob requested when offering support for similar issues.

Once I have backed this up again, plus the broken one Im using now, I'll play around by combining them and see if I might be able to 'integrate' my up-to-date profiles. This might be completely impossible due to the lack of some sort of essential indexing/compiling process that Rob may have been using - I'm a pro tinkerer, but no programmer, so I've no idea about the workings.

I understand the circumstances regarding Padstarr, so I'm pretty philosophical about how this will turn out

Do you happen to have any technical knowledge advice that might prove helpful while I play around with folders and files?
    Last edited by wayowayoo; 03-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.

NOT SOLVED - BUT FIXED with a recent backup.

On the off-chance it helps someone in future;

Requirements: a previously stored backup of the 'Padstarr' folder, found in the following location (Windows 7):
    [DriveLetter]:\Users\[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\
    (If you don't have a manual backup of this folder, it may still exist on a windows backup/system restore point. For info on browsing backups to obtain individual folders and files, see here)

1. Export any existing profiles from Padstarr, and make a note of any important existing settings, in case it all goes wrong.
    2. Copy the folder 'Padstarr' currently stored in [DriveLetter]:\Users\[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\ and store somewhere safe.
    3. Delete the original and replace it with the backup Padstarr folder you want restored.
    4. Run Padstarr. All profiles stored in the backup should now be visible and accessible.

Thanks again for your input Gary, and for your ongoing work here.
    Last edited by wayowayoo; 03-18-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Thank you for the tip!