Thread: Temporary fix for Xbox 1 Controller Windows 10

Arrow Temporary fix for Xbox 1 Controller Windows 10

I think found a workaround fix for the Xbox 1 Controller for Windows 10. Now don't bash me because it may be temporary as well as a permanent fix. Please follow all the instructions as I lay it out.

It involves replacing the new updated xinputhid.sys driver file located in the C:/Windows/System32/Drivers which was updated by Microsoft recently and is giving most of the issues in Windows 10.
    [A]Right click and Take Ownership of the xinputhid.sys driver file located in the C:/Windows/System32/Drivers
    [B] Right click the file, select "Properties", then go to the "Security" tab
    [C] Click "Advanced", then select "Change" on the Owner line, and type in the user name of the primary account on your PC (if you use a Microsoft account, this will be your email)
    [D] After typing in your user name, click on "Check names", then press OK to close out of the Owner and Advanced properties windows.
    [E] Close out of the Properties window and reopen it, go back to the Security tab and give the "Users" group full control of the file.
    [F] Rename the file to xinputhid.sys.old, or move it to a backup folder, or just delete it but I strongly advise to back it up.
    [G] Download this replacement file to replace the mentioned file in the location of the original; http://tinyurl.com/gpzxwuk

Replace the newer 10586.122 driver with the 10586.0 version. Doing this causes windows to still think it is using the 10586.122 driver, so it should not be overwritten until another update comes out at some point, but for now the controller works normally for both PGP, Padstarr and the games that's been tested.

Here is a quick short video I made showing how it's done. Please pause the video as I've tried to do it rather quickly;

Thanks again for all your work Errol

Quote Originally Posted by Twistty View Post
    Thanks again for all your work Errol
    Hey thanks. I also saw your acknowledgement on the YouTube video.

Quote Originally Posted by Errol View Post
    Hey thanks. I also saw your acknowledgement on the YouTube video.
    Hello,

Is this still the case with Windows 10 Build 10.0.14393 or does that work properly? I have the Xbox One Controller as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gamerwspecs View Post
    Hello,

Is this still the case with Windows 10 Build 10.0.14393 or does that work properly? I have the Xbox One Controller as well.
    This post is pretty old and with the new window 10 anniversary update a lot of stuff got fixed. I don't think people should follow up on this as it worked back then but as I mentioned a lot has happened since.

Update to original post

Quote Originally Posted by Errol View Post
    This post is pretty old and with the new window 10 anniversary update a lot of stuff got fixed. I don't think people should follow up on this as it worked back then but as I mentioned a lot has happened since.

So I copied that Xinput file to my windows32 and noticed that the file wasn't even in the directory at least under the name you mentioned in your post.
    There are 6 new Xinput entries such as

xinput1_1.dll
    xinput1_2.dll
    xinput1_3.dll
    XInput1_4.dll
    XInput9_1_0.dll
    XInputUap.dll

I actually copied it anyway to see if anything would happen. I managed to get the sticks and triggers working but the buttons do not recognize. Also I'm getting ready to check the rumble ability to see if that carries over on the analogs. As you mentioned before a lot has changed in the updates but just wanted to post this to see if anyone had any suggestions or input. A quick update I can use triggers in game with rumble but the sticks become unresponsive. Interesting
    Last edited by entangledinchaos; 05-12-2019 at 05:09 AM.

Did you install DirectX 9.0c on your windows 10? Here is a direct link; https://tinyurl.com/2b7xfbm

Did you launch/start Padstarr as Administrator? Try doing that and see if it will emulate the game.

It's now 3 yrs and almost 2 months since this was posted. We are now using Windows 10 version 1809 (OS Build 17763.475) and may be newer for other users.