Thread: 125% Font Size Support? PLEASE!!!

125% Font Size Support? PLEASE!!!

Hello Rob and Errol

I just purchased Pinnacle Profiler again today, as I wanted to support this new program. (I already had Pinnacle, but .... LOL)

13-Nov-2015 16:08:48 GMT-05:00
    Transaction ID: XXX54059D1336153Y (First 3 digits Edited for here)

And received my Padstarr - Unlock Key - Thank you Rob!

Still getting used to the new Padstarr program, but for some reason it does not support 125% font size?! Will this be updated or added at some point in the future? As I have a triple boot machine and doesn't seem to work at 125% on either Win 10, 8.1 or 7? Until then I guess I cannot use what I assume is an amazing update (overhaul?) of one of my most loved and trusted programs. 100% is too small for my eyesight (getting old?) and 150% is totally unusable.

Thank you for your consideration.

Cheers
    Twistty
    (Nita Ullman)
    Last edited by Twistty; 11-13-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Hi Twistty, yes I hope to have 125% support but it's a real pain to do that... for some stupid reason Windows will resize things automatically for 150% but not for 125% and so this causes problems for any program without specific custom handling for this... so instead of Windows just making everything bigger (as it does for 150%), it instead just puts larger fonts into the original size and that messes things up a lot. So that means that for any program to support 125%, the program has to detect it and then adjust the interface manually. That might be no problem for a simple program, but that is a huge amount of work for Padstarr's interface... because even though I've tried to make it simple interface to understand, it's a complex interface with many different views that are only shown to the user as they click around. So it's gonna take a while, but I do certainly hope to have an update eventually to address that.

Rob, I've got a followup question regarding this. It's a bit complicated so bear with me.

Windows 10 has a different dpi scaling engine than Windows 8. For apps that support it, things look great but a lot of legacy desktop apps are super fuzzy, kind of like how things looked in Windows 8 before they released 8.1 (I think that's when they made a change). In any case one recommendation that worked for me is to make several registry changes. They reset as Windows resets so I have kept them as startup commands in a .cmd file and use the task scheduler to rerun these commands:

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Win8DpiScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v LogPixels /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000078 /f

The final hex value is set to 125% scaling and may be customized.

Ok, with regards to PadStarr I haven't tested these behaviors independently, but I'll try to do so and report back.

I think the program's behavior does the following:
    - It scales with no problem to 100%, 125%, or 150% using Windows 10 scaling exclusively. However scaled views are blurry cause eye fatigue after awhile.
    - If using Windows 8 scaling, the program complains and displays 125% incorrectly. I don't know about 150% yet though. I'll try all the permutations and see what happens.

I would definitely like to use Windows 8 scaling (or Windows 10 scaling if Microsoft ever fixes the issue) at 125%, but I could be convinced to live with 150%.
    Last edited by Bedwyr; 11-26-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Ok, reporting back. [edited]

Windows 10 dpi scaling engine:
    100% - PadStarr is sharp and usable, albeit small. No other issues.
    125% - PadStarr is somewhat blurry but usable. Other legacy desktop apps vary in blurriness.
    150% - PadStarr is blurry and usable. Other legacy desktop apps very in blurriness, but are generally worse. Steam is blurry. Windows 10 windows key search does not work correctly.

Windows 8 dpi scaling engine (using registry editing):
    100% - PadStarr is sharp and usable, albeit small. No other issues.
    125% - PadStarr is sharp and unusable. No other issues.
    150% - PadStarr is sharp and usable. Steam Big Picture is blurry. Windows 10 windows key search does not work correctly.

Edit: added other discovered issues.

So that's how things sit. The real surprise is that PadStarr displays and operates just fine in 125% Win10 scaling even though the program is not "designed" for it. However, the blurriness is an ongoing issue with Windows 10. I can deal with it for a little while, but get a headache working with legacy apps whose fonts aren't scaled correctly after about 20 minutes. I would have been willing to work with 150% scaling if Steam were still reasonably sharp, but it looks like it doesn't play nice when forced to scale like that. Another surprise is that for some reason the winkey search function won't display results at 150% scaling using either method. I have no idea why that is or whether it's just my system. I may try experimenting on my Win10 laptop later. Unfortunately 100% is simply a non-starter as this is a living room device and I can't pull up a chair to get close to the TV or squint and slowly lose eyesight. Roommates and friends also find it unusable.

I'll try Win10 scaling at 125% for awhile even given the blurriness and try to continue evaluating PadStarr and its workflows.
    Last edited by Bedwyr; 11-26-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Hey, just thinking. What would happen to PadStarr if I told it to ignore DPI scaling? I only engage with the interface to set things up. That's temporary and I could abide looking at a smaller 1080p aware windows for that kind of thing. It'd be a decent compromise for me.

Hi Bedwyr, thanks for the information... it seems you might actually know more about these different scalings than I do. I never really messed with any of those registry settings, but that's not really a solution that I can implement into the code anyway I don't think. It's also interesting to hear that it seems to look ok in 125% with Windows 10, I've seen in Windows 7 and Windows 8 that it looked cutoff. Perhaps Microsoft finally addresses my previous complaint about the way 125% didn't scale but 150% did. Unfortunately it's a ton of work to try to fix this and I have a number of other things that I'm trying to get done so I don't know when I'll be able to get back to this but I certainly plan to when I get a chance.

I only know something from a user's perspective willing to search the heck out of Google to find solutions. Definitely not a UI engineer (just with aircraft and distributed computing).

Generally the word is that Win 10 scaling is different and worse than 8.1. That's the main takeaway; people are generally less happy with the way 10 scales.

After a week plus I can say that I definitely notice when a program is scaled badly. It's annoying enough that I'll commonly just disable scaling completely in the .exe's "Compatibility" tab. Sometimes for older Windows components like Device Manager I can't do that and it is pretty irritating. The tradeoff appears to be that PadStarr (I'm a buyer now btw) has better general functionality. I've got a couple, hopefully smaller, suggestions I'll put into another thread later but for now it works better, so I'll put up with bad scaling.

Thanks in any case for being willing to look at it even if down the road. I have to say repeatedly that I only ask, never demand. I know that can be a burden on a small-business developer.

i love padstarr it is amazing but i can't keep changing my text scaling back and forth every time i need to mess with the options.
    making it to where i can maximize the padstarr windows full screen wont help?
    i for one don't care how it looks but i need my 125% text.

that's my only gripe with padstarr. other than that its amazing

-i tired to use a program that allows you to resize any window but it wont work on padstar-

125% Font Size Support? PLEASE!!!

killing me