PDA

View Full Version : Help with axis re-mapping/Monster truck madness

tonycollinet
05-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi - I am evaluating the trial version, to use with xbox wirelss controllers (via the wireless reciever), and monster truck madness 2.

A number of questions:

First - and most important. I have mapped the axes for "joystick 1" to use the x axis for left/right, and the z axis (accelerator/brake) for up/down. Profile is persistent, and it is selected to default to device 1.

However MTM2 still refuses to recognise the accelerator, and only takes the joystick up/down for the accelerator.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Second - how does profiler work with multiple contollers? I have 2 gamepads, and the steering wheel. Ideally I would like to have different device profiles for different gams (differetn axis mapping depending on the game) AND different axis mappings for the wheel or gamepad. Is this possible?

EDIT: - Is there another program (extermail to pinnacle) I can use to test the axis mappings passed to games?

Rob
05-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Hello,

The way Pinnacle works is by sending keyboard/mouse messages based on reading from your gamepad, so in that way it can allow you to play just about any game with your gamepad. But Pinnacle cannot change the way other games/programs read from your controller, so the axis mappings in Pinnacle are only telling Pinnacle how it should read from the device. Sometime you can correct problems in the built-in support of games with Pinnacle, but it can be kind of tricky depending on how the game works.

So the question is, how would you do the acceleration if you were playing the game with just the keyboard and mouse? However it's done with the keyboard and mouse would need to be assigned to the gamepad through Pinnacle so that it can add the acceleration.

Also Pinnacle can work with more than one controller if the game supports it on the keyboard/mouse... in that case you'll want to go to PREFERENCES and enable the 'allow multiple instances of Pinnacle' setting. Then you can run Pinnacle once for each of the gamepads you want to control.

tonycollinet
05-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Ah - thanks for that, no joy then.

In that case, how does the profiler handle mapping analogue axes to buttons? Is there any form of pulsed proportioinal control along the lines of the further the stick is pushed, the longer the button is pressed before being released?

Thanks.

Rob
05-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, there are ways to make different things happen when you hold a button longer or push a joystick further. For instance a lot of games used WASD to move and have SHIFT button as 'Sprint', so you can use Pinnacle to create a Joystick Command that just does WASD normally, but will also hold SHIFT (for Sprint) when you push the joystick all the way forward. Also when joysticks are mapped to the mouse then will translate the analog movements of the joystick to different speeds of mouse movement.